Friday, August 24, 2012

Practice Nails: (Velvet, Fimo, Jelly Sandwich)

I felt like doing some practice nails tonight. & I ended up doing three recent nail trends, that I already love ! Those three trends are the flocking powder, fimo, and jelly sandwich nails. 

1. (Jelly Sandwich Nails)
I myself am new to this one. But basically what you do is pick out a sheer polish and a glitter polish. Then you paint your nails a couple coats of your sheer polish, after that dries you add a coat of glitter (or two, or three, up to you), and after the glitter dries you add one more thin coat of your sheer polish. Since the sheer polish is sheer, when you layer it over the glitter you will still be able to see the glitter. It's a really cool affect, that I cannot wait to try on my own nails. Here is what my practice nail turned out. 
I used 'Sinful Colors - Irish Green' as the sheer base polish, and 'Funky Fingers - Confetti' as the glitter. 

2. Velvet Nails
Velvet nails are nails that have that soft fuzzy look to them. It is very simple to achieve this look. You will need to go purchase some flocking powder for this. I bought a pack of 6 jars for $7 at Michael's craft store. I decided to use yellow for the practice nail, because yellow is my least favorite of the six colors. LOL. Anyways, the first thing you need to do is pick which flocking powder color you want to use, then pick a nail polish to match it. (DOES NOT HAVE TO BE AN EXACT MATCH) Then, you paint a couple coats of the polish onto your nails. Now, this next step can be done two different ways. The first way is to apply a third coat of the polish and then add the flocking powder. The second way is to apply a coat of topcoat and then add the powder. I myself used the first way for this nail. So apply either another layer of polish, or a layer of top coat. Then, using tweezers, or your fingers, pick up some flocking powder, and sprinkle it onto your nail. (I recommend the sprinkling w/ your fingers or tweezers because if you dont you get those big unwanted clumps on your nails). Once your nail is covered, lightly brush off the excess powder. Then the last step is to lightly press down on the remaining powder. & that's it, NO TOPCOAT ! Here is how my practice nail turned out. 
I used 'Sinful Colors - Pull Over' as the base color. 

3. Fimo Nails
I had done dream catcher nails a while back. & the day after I was looknig at my fimo, and came across my feather fimo, and I immediately thought 'I could have used these as my dream catcher feathers'. So, I decided to try that out and see how I'd like it (for next time). To apply fimo, you first cut some slices from your fimo cane. Add some top coat, or nail glue, to the spot you want the fimo. Then, you simply place it there, and press it down gently. Then when you're done, add a thick layer of topcoat. Here is how my practice nail turned out. 
I used 'Sinful Colors - Pink Forever' as the base, a silver striper for the dream catcher, and 'Sinful Colors - Amethyst' for the dots. (I also added a purple rhinestone to the center) 

No comments:

Post a Comment